Peer Testimony: The College Application Essays

I only applied to four schools, and only really cared about two of the admissions decisions. That being said, I wouldn't say I'm the best at giving advice on dealing the college app essays, though that isn't to say I didn't have obstacles to overcome. I certainly struggled (very normal thing, by the way), but I had the luxury of having to deal with less essays. So, I provided testimony from a bunch of my friends regarding their own struggles (or lack thereof) with the college app essays, and any advice they have for future high school seniors. Happy writing!

*Please keep in mind that some people have chosen to only disclose their first names or remain anonymous. Thank you for respecting their privacy.*

Mallika
"Definitely start writing early. Also write your essay when you're in the right mood and you actually feel like writing. I wrote many drafts of essays of different topics, but I was never super into any of those topics, which reflected in my writing. I finally thought of a topic in the middle of the night and wrote my first draft right then. This ended up being my best draft and best idea because it was something that I was actually interested in writing about. Don't feel pressured to write about a stereotypical topic for a college essay. You can find ways to write about anything and make it work for a college essay."
Allison
"Don't procrastinate. You'll thank me later. Talk to people that are in college to get advice, especially people that are in the possible major you want to go into."
Amy
"Dig deep and work hard, but not too hard. If an idea doesn't work, don't try to force it with gimmicks or cliches. Just take a breath and come back later to tackle it with a new perspective. The most important thing is that your essay is focused. Oh, and be honest. Don't even waste time thinking of lies or embellishments. It's not worth it."
Olivia
"Know your life. It sounds kind of obvious, but start getting good at remembering appointments and taking responsibility for your own self-care. Also, keep it in mind when you are working on your college applications. Life can get in the way of college applications and so planning accordingly can be very helpful. Don't focus so much on doing things like your essays early as much as using your time efficiently... setting timelines is something I found incredibly useful. I know everyone says be unique, but seriously: be yourself. Be you at your most vulnerable because you are never going to be meeting the people who read your essay, so who cares?"
Chantal
"Don't be too overwhelmed with starting college apps because once you start, it's actually not that bad. Don't try too hard to be someone you're not because what you end up writing should reflect who you think you are, not who you think colleges want you to be. If you ever find yourself stuck, just slow down and brainstorm possible ideas and go from there. Try to get a head start, and don't stress out too much."
Chosha
"Don't procrastinate. Get a head start on college apps in the summer because it will be harder to find time during school. Make sure you organize all of your essays for all of your college apps. One thing that helped me was creating a word document for all of my essay prompts and writing them on the document, and then copy and pasting it on the application. It was easier for me to revise, edit, and sometimes rewrite the essay instead of writing the essay on the application site. College apps can be a stressful time, but make sure to always remind yourself to calm down and take a break to regain your thoughts."
Jess
"The college admissions process is grueling, unfair, and unforgiving. At the same time, it’s not nearly as daunting as it may seem. Believe me when I say you WILL end up somewhere you love, even if that involves changing majors or transferring schools (both of which are completely okay!). The most important thing is to make sure the college is the right fit for you and takes into account your interests (sports, city life, community, foods, climate, college town, etc.) because you will interact with those little things every single day, and they will make a far bigger impact on your college experience than the college will itself!"
Source
Thank you to everyone who gave their valuable opinions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accepting Rejection

Taking Care of Yourself

Peer Testimony: A Reflection on the Years-Long Journey