Peer Testimony: A Reflection on the Years-Long Journey

Now that all of my peers are committed somewhere, I took the time to ask them what they thought of the college application process. I took the time to ask my friends Mallika, Amy, and Rachel about the college application process and to reflect on what they would or wouldn't have changed.

1. If you wouldn't mind sharing, where are you going this fall, and what are you planning on studying?
Mallika: I'm going to the University of Maryland (College Park) to study Computer Science.
Amy: I will be going to Carnegie Mellon University this fall for computer science.
Rachel: I’m going to Ursinus College and I plan to major in Computer Science and minor in French, Peace and Social Justice Studies, and hopefully also Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies if it fits.

2. How did you handle the stress of college applications in your senior year, if you had any?
M: For me, it only got very stressful around Christmas break, because I had to write a lot of college essays during that time. By the time I submitted all those applications, I knew that it was the best I could do so after submitting them, I wasn't too stressed out.
A: I remember at one point I got so stressed that my dad forced me out of the house and drove me to a Starbucks to continue writing my essays. Unfortunately, a lot of the stress is unavoidable, but a change of scenery helps.
R: I didn’t really handle it too well if I’m being honest. One thing I did do that was helpful was I talked to my counselor about how I felt like I wouldn’t get in anywhere, several times, and she basically pointed out how there was physically no way that I wouldn’t get in anywhere.

3. Was there a point as a high school student where you thought things would never resolve themselves? Like you felt that you would never get into college?
M: I did feel like things wouldn't resolve themselves, but I knew I would end up getting in to college. I was just worried that I wouldn't feel happy with the results of where I got into.
A: The entire time.
R: This was basically how I felt up until I started getting acceptance letters. I knew I had the grades to get in somewhere, but I was still completely terrified that I wouldn’t.

4. How did you handle standardized tests? Any tips for underclassmen?
M: I took the SAT twice and I did much better the second time I took it. I think all I can say is just to practice. That's probably what everyone says, but getting used to the type of questions and practicing helps a lot.
A: [One thing] I did [was] C2 once/twice a week over the summer after sophomore year. I took the SAT twice and the SAT2 three times. I later decided to try the ACT and ended up using my ACT score. [My suggestion is to] don’t kill yourself trying to get a perfect score. A mere 20 or 30 points won’t make a dent in your application. Please don’t spend the entire summer after sophomore year doing SAT prep (it’s a scam)! There are so many other things you could do that would benefit you, and your application, a whole lot more.
R: I went to bed really early the night before the tests and I tried to make sure I ate breakfast (something I don’t always do). I also didn’t really study for the tests because I knew that that would stress me out a lot more. Something I’d tell underclassmen or anyone who still needs to take a standardized test is that it’s really not as important as you probably think it is. Ursinus doesn’t even require that you send a standardized test score, and I applied or looked at several other schools that had similar policies. Test scores really aren’t as important as I think a lot of people make them out to be, especially today with the way that grades are a competition.

5. How did you handle rejection, if you received any?
M: I was upset at first. But I got over rejection pretty quickly. I knew that I would be accepted somewhere, and I just told myself that I wasn't meant to go to that college that rejected me.
A: Rejection sucks, but it’s not the end of the world! Do NOT take it personally. Looking back, there is literally no pattern in where I was accepted/rejected; in many ways, the whole process is just a numbers game.
R: By the time I’d started working on college applications, I knew that I didn’t really want to go to any of my reach schools, so getting rejected from them wasn’t really that bad for me. I hadn’t really expected to get in either, so that also helped me not to be too terribly disappointed.

6. How did you handle outside pressure and/or influences, if you received any?
M: I didn't really feel any outside pressure. However, it was a little hard hearing about people getting into schools that I didn't get into. Despite this, I feel like things all worked out in the end and I'm really happy about where I'm going.
A: I was really fortunate to have a lot of people help me in the college application process, but I did get lots of mixed reviews, which was confusing. I wrote my common app essay about music, but my research professor wanted me to write about science and people from church wanted me to write about children’s ministry. All advice is good, but just remember that it’s your application, not theirs.
R: I honestly just tried to ignore everyone else whenever the topic of college came up, especially when people discussed what colleges that they were applying to or what test scores they got because it made me feel inadequate.

7. Do you think you enjoyed your senior year?
M: Yes, overall I enjoyed my senior year. Besides Christmas break, which was dedicated to writing college essays, senior year was pretty enjoyable, especially when you receive your first acceptance. Then you know that you are definitely going to college. Once March/April comes around, senioritis kicks in and I felt super relaxed which made senior year great.
A: For sure! It’s so sad to think we only have a month left.
R: I’ve enjoyed how fast it’s gone by, and that it will be over soon.

8. Are there any final words that weren't discussed that you would like to say? Any tips for future high school seniors who will go through the process?
M: If you don't get into your top choice college, it's not the end of the world. You'll still end up going somewhere you love.
A: [For one,] just focus on being as genuine as possible in your application — that’s really all you need. [Secondly,] I know this is super cliche, but you will succeed in life because of who YOU are, not where you go to college. [And lastly,] best of luck!

*The writer would like to thank the contributors for their responses.

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Care of Yourself

Dealing with the Noise