The Waiting Game

I submitted my last college application on October 15th, 2017. For others, that milestone is sometime in early January.

With my anxiety and my inability to deal with college applications longer than I already have (it seemed like everything I did starting my freshman year led up to that moment), October 15th was it for me. I was done, and it felt pretty awesome. But something I never knew I could experienced started to happen: I was anxious about waiting.

My waiting game was much longer than most. My November and winter breaks were decidedly less stressful, but also more listless. Since none of my friends were done with their college apps, I couldn't really hang out with them, though the benefit of finishing my college apps so soon was that I got to spend almost a week in sunny Florida while everyone else was dealing with the cold, late-December weather.

But waiting sucks. It really does! School does keeps you busy, and it keeps your mind from the finality of senior year, because you're still a student. People tout senior year as some sort of nine-month free-for-all, but senior year is pretty stressful at times. I still had to study for midterms, still stayed up late, still felt like I wasn't a senior yet.

I got decisions back from two out of the four colleges I applied to (as of the original date of publication). There were upsides to getting decisions back and not having to worry about colleges. I took time for myself, for once.

I'm a firm believer in picking up something new or going back to something you really like to do. From mid-October until the day of this publication, I went to the movie theater three times, started listening to K-pop, caught up with my TV shows, and stayed up-to-date with movie awards season. It's pointless to fret about your decisions. For most people, distraction in the form of entertainment I mentioned is a great thing. It normalizes the whole process you're going through, and you get to live a life outside of the colleges admission bubble you've inhabited since what feels like the beginning of freshmen year. In blunt terms, you get to live a little. You're free, if not until you get your last accept or reject, in which then you have to make a decision (more on that later).

As I'm writing closer to the day my final decisions come out, I can say that time does fly so quickly. I can't believe I'm going to be graduating this year, that I'm going to be an adult this year. My mind is truly blown.

I guess, above everything, the waiting game can be a great time to reflect on your high school career and to take the time to really take care of your body, your mind, and the people around you. Take a deep breath and relax. You've made it this far. Be proud, be happy, and be healthy.
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Care of Yourself

Peer Testimony: A Reflection on the Years-Long Journey

Dealing with the Noise