Making the Decision

Deciding which college you'll be attending is challenging, especially if you have more than one option to choose from. I will say as a disclaimer that my decision was easy. I wanted to get into the University of Pittsburgh since my sophomore year, and I've never looked back (I committed last week). But I have plenty of friends who are going through what many will be going through for the next couple of years, so here are some things you should consider before making that tuition deposit and officially committing.

1. Visit the school (if you can).
I recommend you visit the school no matter how far the distance, because a campus can only be experienced if you're actually there. College campuses have certain energies that are near-impossible to experience in any other setting than an actual visit, and I've heard plenty of people make or break their decision on a school after they've visited. Even when you think you're dead set on the college, visit one more time and really imagine yourself as a student there.

2. Weigh your pros and cons.
I've had some friends make entire spreadsheets devoted to weighing the costs and benefits of going to different schools. While I'm certainly not suggesting you do that, keeping some sort of record of what you think about each school is helpful in making an educated decision.

3. Don't wait until the last minute.
If you still don't know where you're committing by May 1st, that's a real problem. Spend your time in April on deciding before it's too late. Yes, school may be a little swamped, but you should still have time to decide where you want to go. If you're really in a rut, talk to other people, whether that be your friends, your family, or other trusted adults such as teachers or counselors.

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accepting Rejection

Taking Care of Yourself

Peer Testimony: A Reflection on the Years-Long Journey